Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Saturday Night Fever

I got a haircut last week. This was a pretty momentous in all circles of my life (one of my friends said the reaction was "like you just came home from the war"), and things were no different here at the hotel. The powers that be had been dropping hints for weeks--The White Bitch always witching (whoops), The Owner kvetching silently and raising his eyebrows--but I'd just whistle and shake my sexy hair out of my face and randomly stab at my beard with scissors every coupl'a days.
But then one day I had half an hour to kill before a lunch date with some British floozy, and since I only keep my hair like that because I'm afraid of rejection, I took the plunge and chopped it all off.

There was much celebration when I came into the hotel that day. GWNTSLACD's eyes widened and she covered her mouth with her hand. There was a lot of pointing and whispering in foreign languages from the maid staff. The Boss Lady's eyes got wet, and she said, "I'm so proud of you!"
It was all a bit much.

Since, I've gotten my haircut, two people have independently told me that I looked like Harry Potter. I used to get that all the time the last time I had short hair, to the point that I was pretty fixated on having a Halloween costume of "Harry Potter, if he let himself go" (Most of my Halloween costumes follow the formula "_________, if he let himself go"

The other person that people used to tell me I resembled back when I had short hair was Tobey Maguire. So it shouldn't have come as much of a surprise when Yusuf walked through the door that evening, took one look at me, and proclaimed, "Spidaman!"

This is now pretty much the only thing he calls me. I'm honestly not sure if he remembers my name. It took me about ten seconds before I came up with a matching nickname for him. In keeping with his sworn duty to protect the guests and staff of the hotel, and also because some Japanese lady is fascinated by his skin, Yusuf is now known as The Brack Panther.

I am Spidaman. He is the Brack Panther. Together we are Saturday Night Fever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More British Floozies, please.

Stu said...

Spidaman!

Captain Summer said...

You slay me.

amy.leblanc said...

totally unrelated but i think you would like this movie and should watch it: Paris, Je T'aime
tp://www.netflix.com/WatchNowMovie/Paris_Je_T_aime/70067860