Sunday, December 16, 2007

Maybe the dumbest question I've ever been asked in my entire life

An older, impatient hick woman, who has been adamant the whole night about getting nine people to La Guardia airport for under 65$, calls down again and asks crabbily, " Are 221 numbers local calls? Will we get charged for 221 numbers?"

"I'm sorry, miss, do you mean 212? That's the area code for Manhattan. So that's a local call"

"No," she says, irritated. "It says right here. 7-1-8, 2-2-1..."

I defy anyone to tell me a purer expression of sheer ignorance in the comments section.

Update: Apparently, I didn't make this clear. (718) is a Brooklyn area code. The number was something like 718-221-5555. So the woman, who wasn't senile, just an old hag, was wondering whether the 221 in this phone number indicated some type of code, revealing a basic ignorance of the way phone numbers work. In my opinion, that's pretty damn stupid.

2 comments:

Captain Summer said...

Uhhhmmmm...I don't get it?

Anonymous said...

no that dumb. she just messed up the numbers, you jaded mf.