Monday, December 17, 2007

The Tagline: Who Just Came into the Hotel?

A man came into the hotel last Saturday. He looked a little bit like one of the characters on Battlestar Galactica (Tom Zerek, for my BSG-fan reader--you know who you are). It's possible that I'm saying that because its 5 in the morning and I've just watched six straight episodes of Battlestar Galactica.

Anyway, he didn't really stop by for any reason, just sort of to reminisce about old times and how much the neighborhood has changed. He said he used to live around here, that you couldn't believe how seedy this place used to be. I tell him, like I do anyone who makes this comment, that I wish I coulda worked here then.

Then he tells me he's a filmmaker, and that he shot scenes for one of his movies in our little establishment. "You don't say," I say with interest. "What was the movie called?"

"Whore 2," he says. Yes.

After a pause, he adds, deflating my dreams, "It was a kind of a documentary. We interviewed prostitutes."

After a few more minutes of slightly uncomfortable conversation, he tells me that he's also something of a writer. "You know, " he says, "Sometimes I think about working at a place like this. just for the material."

Even though I kind of think he was trying to pick me up, I said something stupid, like 'tell me about it," and then said he should come back later and we could talk about it. Whore 3? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

D. Benjamin Strick said...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111706/